Braised OxtailA fall braise full of flavor!
A fall braise full of flavor!
2 lbs oxtail
2 Tablespoons melted ghee or suet
15 large shiitake mushrooms
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups fresh herbs - we love oregano, thyme, and parsley for this dish
- 1.Sear 2 lbs oxtail in 2 Tablespoons melted ghee or suet in a large casserole or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Turning the oxtails frequently until they are browned on all sides, this will take 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Remove the oxtails from the fat and set aside, add 15 large shiitake mushrooms and sear for 3-5 minutes.
- 3. Add the oxtails back to the pan and cover with water and season with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and 2 cups fresh herbs - we love oregano, thyme, and parsley for this dish.
- 4. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake at 350ºF in the oven for 3 hours.
- 5. After the meat is done braising, remove the oxtails from the pan and reduce the mushrooms in the braising liquid until it is thickened.
- 6. Serve the oxtails in a shallow bowl in a pool of braising liquid with rice, pasta or polenta.