Braised Short Rib StewThe Best things in life are worth the wait. This Stew Definitely is!
Braised Short Rib Stew
The Best things in life are worth the wait. This Stew Definitely is!
- 4 Short Ribs
- 1 lb Cremini Mushrooms
- 1 Red Onion
- 5 Carrots
- Sherry Vinegar.
- 1. Sear four short ribs on all sides in a cast iron pan - no need to add fat - the short ribs will render their own fat. Don't crowd them - if your pan does not fit them all rotate them through the pan and set them aside in a bowl as you sear them off.
- 2. Remove the seared ribs from the pan and add 1 lb cremini mushrooms to the rendered beef fat and cook on high heat, stirring every minute or so to soften.
- 3. After 5 minutes of searing mushrooms add one whole large red onion chopped fine. Reduce heat to low and cook mushrooms and onions together on low heat for 5 minutes.
- 4. Add back in short ribs to mushrooms and onions and add water to cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and braise minimum 4 hours and up to 8 hours (you can also place the pan covered in your oven at 225). The longer the braise, the softer and more tender the meat will be!
- 5. Remove the bones from the pot and if you are not serving immediately, chill in the fridge and remove all fat before reheating. Will last one week in the fridge (leave the fat on in the fridge, this helps preservation).
- 6. To serve, reheat and add 5 whole peeled and chunked carrots to the pot. Cook until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and finish with a splash of sherry vinegar.